Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Garbage platforms - São Paulo


These are garbage cans in residential neighborhoods in São Paulo. Yes, they are. You set your garbage bags on this basket/platform after 6 pm and the garbage men pass by during the night. I am guessing that this format is key here in Brazil for two reasons: 1. No one steals the cans. 2. No stray dogs can rip holes in bags and get the stuff.  Okay, maybe one more reason: many more dumpster diver opportunities when it's all out in the open to look at! But maybe that's just me (a master-class dumpster diver).

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Depends...on a regular week, yes--pickups three times a week. On a big clean-up week, nope...

      Delete
    2. Oh that makes a huge difference. I was imagining how I would manage to get all my garbage in there, but mine is only picked up weekly. We have these giant bins issued that we place at the curb each week, one for recycling and one for garbage. What's the recycling situation there? Might be worth a post :) (PS Can you tell I finally caught up on your blog after all of my vacations? Still enjoying it very much.)

      Delete