Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Baby, you can drive my car - São Paulo




So, here is my husband driving too fast. You can tell it is him because of the license plate (blacked out by me, but visible in this ticket). He was caught on radar being bad at Avenida Pompeia. I'm sure he did not even notice the radar--my guess it was right at that point where he was trying to provide the kids with a "gela-saco" moment (see this past blog). 

Now what if it wasn't my husband driving the car? Ultimately it would be his responsibility to take this ticket and the four points on his license. But, given that this is electronic monitoring, he can claim it was me (which is what he is doing) or anyone else who is willing to take the points on the license. Just send in a copy of the driver's license, sign, and the points are given away. 

In this case, these did become my points. You have a limit of 20 points per year and BH already has a few on his license. In fact he has three points for letting his parking meter expire. That one needs to be explained to me. How do you get points on your license for a non-moving violation? Huh? No one in New York would be ever allowed to drive again.

I love the trade in traffic tickets. The worst drivers are still on the road because they simply find a relative or friend to take the points, or there are even individuals that "sell" their license numbers and accept your points. I'm not saying that we ever did this, but BH's grandmother was driving pretty fast for her age until finally giving up her license a few years ago.

5 comments:

  1. My wife once got a ticket for running a red light in Newark, NJ. It came complete with a link to where we could check out the video online. Indeed, it was her and our car. I got the points since the car was registered in my name. Taking one for the team and all that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea we had such technology in the US!! Makes sense for red lights, I suppose. And video! Very high-tech! I was only pulled over for speeding in the US once when I was 16 years old and missed the sign that dropped the 50 mph speed limit to 25 in the space of a quarter mile. I hated that feeling of the trooper coming up next to the window...agh, I prefer the impersonal little ticket in the mail!

      And yes, I know well the feeling of taking one for the team! :)

      Delete
  2. The point system works pretty much the same here in the UK but you can be sent to jail for lying about who was driving the car. It amounts to something like perjury. In fact that happened last year to a top ranking politician and his ex-wife. Unfortunately, that's something that probably wouldn't happen in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Brazil jail anyone for perjury? I am not joking. I really just don't know.

      Delete
    2. I don't know this for a fact but I'm sure it's a crime punishable with jail. I'm sure people have been jailed for it too. But the judicial system is certainly not as effiicient as it should be, and especially lenient towards people with money. That's true of every country but more so in Brazil.

      Delete